Monday, July 21, 2008

Sport, War, Editing & Signing a Deal










It has been an interesting few weeks in the build up to the signing off of the novel '209 A Story'... (and btw thanks for all the email!)

I went to Queensland to visit my parents and to get out of the city. As much as I love Melbourne, city living can become overwhelming at times - particularly when one is trying to edit a novel.

I was able to visit my old school and visit with staff who were teaching at Toowoomba Grammar School when I was a student there. I was impressed with work currently being undertaking at school on the the new school Museum.

Several weeks earlier I visited Sydney Grammar where Arthur McCrae had been to school and it got me to thinking... How much have these schools changed in over one hundred years?

Obviously, the gentile times of the late 1890's is a complete contrast to the technological establishments of today. However, looking over the photographs of the former students at both schools during the 1900's and seeing the boys of today who were on their lunch break bought memories flooding back to me of my own years at Grammar. I even saw several photographs of myself in my 'blazer dress'. The one thing which has settled in my mind during the intervening years, (more than I care to attache a number) is this... The education of children is still as important as it was back then and the dedication of the teachers of today is quite incredible.

One thing that struck me in a similarity of the two schools was the old sections of both Grammar Schools. On the walls of the 'Big School' at Sydney Grammar and in the 'Old Hall' at the Toowoomba Grammar School, there are dedications to the boys who had paid the ultimate sacrifice to give us the freedoms we enjoy today and secondly the trophies to the many and varied sporting achievements... 'Sport and War'.

I then headed west to the farm, to visit my folks and family members. In particular, my amazing father. His dedication to sustainable farming in these difficult times for those people on the land who face drought and the uncertain effects of 'Climate Change', is admirable and still a powerful influence behind my own dedication to the successful launch of the '209 A Story'. It was a complete get away and the something that struck me more than anything was the brightness of the enumerable stars that would dramatically twinkle every night from horizon to horizon. It was incredible to stand outside and just to look 'up'... even if my father was constantly telling me to, 'watch for snakes!'.

Several weeks later I drove to Brisbane to take at look at the Picasso Exhibition at the GOMA. Upon my return to Melbourne, to finally ready myself for the signing of the 'deal' for '209 A Story', I found myself on a tram heading up Swanston Street and from the tram window at my stop I saw an enormous advertisement for the latest exhibition at the State Library of Victoria that opened while I was away. It's title made me smile with a recognition that everything is going to be all right. It is called ... 'Sport and War'.

Have a good week everyone and thanks again for your email and kind words of support for the launch.

Cheers
Steven