Wednesday, December 31, 2008

2009... The First Day of the Year of '209 A Story'


Thursday, 1st January, 2009.

Many years ago, I found myself in St George's Chapel of Windsor Castle and reading an inscription attached to the wall near to the tomb of King George VI. I had attended morning service in the chapel earlier and had taken some time to have a look around the historic Royal Peculiar. Like most services in the Protestant faith anywhere in the world, it attracted a small gathering of parishioners and on that morning, one 'ring-in' Australian. Over the years, I have always made a visit to Windsor part of every trip to the United Kingdom. It is one of my favourite places in the world and I enjoy taking the time to walk the five kilometres of the Long Walk, past ancient oaks, and up to Snow Hill and the famous Copper Horse statue.
As I read the verse, I thought about the words and how eloquently they had been written and the important message behind their meaning. Apparently, it had been a favourite passage of the King, and by the time I had read the last line, I had been moved beyond words.

More about this later...

As 2009 commences and the launch of '209 A Story' is only weeks away, I have had to take on a Personal Assistant to help me with the enormous workload that occurs when a novel goes into print. Along with Renee Harris (my new PA), I now have a Business Manager, a Publisher, A Publicist, An Accountant, A Web Team, A Lawyer and a representative in Queensland and another in New South Wales. Their counsel is necessary. What I am finding is the further we progress forward, it is their professionalism and advice that is paramount to the goal of publishing a successful novel.
I recently had one such important conversation with my publicist. Jillian sat me down and we talked about the coming year and how important it was to differentiate between the ideals of becoming a famous author and the cold, hard reality of being published for the first time. YES... of course I want to sell a million copies of the novel before this time next year. But, the reality of possibilities is requiring more thought. I walked away with much, about which, I needed to ponder. It is one thing to have a dream of success and another to deal with it in a sensible and mature way. Like many other aspiring authors, the dream can quickly get away from you if one does not see it for what it truly is. Publishing and marketing a novel is part of a business. The writing of the story is where the fantasy should remain. The business side is what happens after the book is complete. By setting the goals incorrectly it can lead to uncertainty (and I believe much unhappiness).
Sooooooo... over the last couple of weeks I have thought much about what is important in the life of Steven Owen Rafter and I set to work creating two lists of things that were important. The first was a list of things that need to be done and I prioritised them in order of urgency versus importance.
There was also another list.
It was a list of things which are the ‘reality’ to my life. They are the things which will protect me from a bad review, or the inevitable negativity that comes with putting yourself out there. What this new year shall bring, I do not know but now I know that I am ready.

And, this is what I have learned...

When ‘209 A Story’ is launched at Balmoral Castle on the evening of Saturday, 21st March, 2009, it is part of the business side of the book. Of course there will be the accomplishment of having my novel being available for people to read (and hopefully for them to enjoy!). And naturally, I will take pride in it. But my true accomplishment was the process itself. It was the past four and a half years of the ‘209 A Story’ journey. What is truly important to me is the list of my ‘reality’ – my family, my relationships with friends and my job. Anything that comes after this is purely cream on the cake.

... I found the inscription from the wall on a card in the gift shop within the chapel and I framed it and it has, for the past twenty-two years, sat on the table next to my bed... and this is what it reads...

I said to the man who stood at the gate of the year
'Give me a light that I may tread safely into the unknown.'

And he replied, 'Go into the darkness and put your hand into the hand of God
That shall be to you better than light and safer than a known way!'


Have a Happy New Year everyone.

Cheers
Steven
ps - the photograph (above) was taken on one of my trips to Windsor and is outside St George's Chapel.