Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The WFC, the American Launch of 209 A Story and a friend of Elizabeth Taylor?





I sit down on the lounge, put the rug over my knees, and place the notebook pc on my lap. I lean forward and press the play button on the remote control...
I begin to type...
One thing I find amazing about the travels I have undertaken with 209 A Story (since 2004) has been the large amount of people I have had the opportunity to meet. In each country, which I have been lucky enough to visit, the accents have been different and the people kind. Most of time, they have been happy to share their thoughts of RMS Titanic and just like at home, most people around the world do not know there was an Australian passenger on the ill feted voyage in 1912.
In 2006 I was in New York and had fulfilled a lifelong dream of staying at the Waldorf Astoria at 301 Park Avenue. I was writing the chapters of Dabria Livingstone and I threw myself into the life of that amazing city and the ideas just flowed on and on and on... I lived the story. I believe briefly that I captured the adventurous spirit of the protagonist of my novel.
During that visit I asked an American friend, George, ‘Have u seen Elizabethtown?’
An odd look appeared on his face. His eyes focused on me with purpose and he replied, ‘No, I don’t know Elizabeth Taylor.’
My expression must have mirrored his as he then quickly added... ‘What did u say?’
The differences in the Australian and American accents had caused confusion and we both laughed.
More about this later...
This past week the WFC (World Financial Crisis) finally come to visit my life. My planned 209 A Story Book Tour of the United States and Canada was postponed for a period of 12-18 months. It was suggested that it would be best to hold off until 210 and 211 are ready to ‘hit the shelves’. I was disappointed because there was not only the tour, I was to attend a dinner at Capriati, which was organised by the American Australian Association. Also, I was to meet with representatives of the Titanic Society of Canada in Toronto. More pointedly, it was my first opportunity to revisit Halifax in Nova Scotia and pay my respects to Arthur at the Fairview Cemetery (post the completion/publication of my interpretation of his story).
To say that I was gutted by the postponement is an understatement. It is difficult to write about the subject. Over the past week I have been trying to come to terms with ‘not getting what we think we deserve’. Like everyone else who faces disappointment I went through the range of emotions. I have questioned, revisited ideas, made pleading phone calls, gotten angry, laughed it off, cried a bit, shared the load with friends, received many messages from supportive friends on Facebook and finally... acceptance of the situation.
The DVD continues to play as I am writing this blog entry and I am distracted because I am being drawn into the storyline.
And then it happened... a realisation.
Sometimes when things in life disappoint you – one needs to look for the little flickers from the candle of life.
Funnily enough, as I finally gave in and just relaxed and watched the television screen in front of me... this movie became brighter than I could have possibly imagined. It was the story of a young man whose father had suddenly died. It was the story of his journey from his home in California to reclaim the body. It was the story of family in all its dysfunctional madness. It made me laugh and made me cry... and on this sunny day in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia in November 2009 – it reminded me of my friend, George, in New York City... and then I smiled.
The movie was called Elizabethtown.
However, it was more than just the thought of my friend (who does not know Elizabeth Taylor). It was the smiles at the vision of places I have been lucky enough to visit. It was the familiar music which I happen to enjoy. It was the giant burning fake eagle that made me laugh. And it was the many, many lines of dialogue that made me realise everything is as it should be...
‘It takes time to extract joy from life...’
‘You have 5mins to wallow in the delicious misery... enjoy it, embrace it, discard it... and proceed...’
‘Sadness is surrender. Make time to dance alone with one hand waving free.’
‘Look for the girl in the red hat who’s waiting for you with an alternate plan.’
‘Have the courage to fail big and stick around and let them wonder why you’re smiling...’
And my personal favourite...
‘Those who risk... Win’
Have a good week people
Cheers
Steven