Saturday, January 24, 2009

Informal or Formal? Stupid or Wiser? U decide...















L
eaving the IGA on late Wednesday night, I realised I had left my phone at work. I was on the way back to retrieve it when I was stopped in the street by this man who was approximately the same age as me. The look on his face was anxious. Taking my earphone from my ears I asked him if he was ok? He told me that his name was, George, and he needed to know the name of the street which was running adjacent to Collins. He lifted his hand and pointed. Speaking further, he then went on to tell me that he had run out of petrol on ‘Spencer Street’ and now had also locked his keys in the car, along with his wallet, ipod... and how he felt like an idiot.
More about George later...
This week my dealings with ‘209 A Story’ have been most interesting. Everything appears to be coming together. At moments I sigh and wonder if it is really happening. My head goes into a spin on what to do first because the list is growing longer and longer. This week there was a flood of email from the publishers, the web design team were busy and requiring various details about ‘209 A Story’ (for the 1st February launch of the web site), the lists of invites to launches were being composed, the invites printed and the final decision was to made about the venue for the Australian launch of the novel.
It was during one such interaction with two members of the ‘209 Team’ that I felt stuck between the proverbial rock and a hard place. It all revolved around something rather silly... ready for this? It was the overwhelmingly difficult but rather important decision about which photograph they would use on the homepage of www.209astory.com . The uneasiness I felt was due to the photograph in question being an image of me! I discussed this with my friend, Victoria, at work over lunch yesterday...
The look on the face of George turned to embarrassment as he explained that he was from a town on the Mornington Peninsular. I told him that ‘I am sure’ it would ‘be fine’ and then asked how I could assist further. He asked if I knew of a petrol station around the area. He became almost despondent when I told him that the closest was in North Melbourne at the top of King St. He then suddenly realised he had no money due to his wallet being locked in the car... What a drama it was all becoming for him...
George appeared completely frustrated. Lifting up his mobile phone he said, ‘If I give you my mobile phone, would you lend me the money to get the petrol... and as soon I get back into the car I will give you the money back.’ I could hardly take the only thing he had, so I was most insistent that I did not want his mobile phone and laughed it off. I handed him $40. I ended up with the mobile phone... which was switched off. I said I would go back to the office to get my phone and meet him up on the corner of Collins and Spencer...
Victoria asked me what the problem was with the decision about the photograph. I advised the situation was a clash of opinions between two people. One believed the photograph was too informal and the other thought it most suitable. Where one confirmed that it would be a hit, the other believed it was projecting the wrong image. One thought the colour in the image was vibrant and (guess what?) the other said that it should have been a black and white image. She then went on for the next twenty minutes (without pausing!) telling me about how she appreciated what they were suggesting but confrimed that she did believe that the world is ready for a NEW IMAGE OF AN AUTHOR! She then changed the subject...
I arrived back at my desk, picked up my phone, and sawI had a message from one of the ‘photographic critics’ reinforcing their opinion... yet again! After a lengthy reply, I left the building to find my unfortunate 'friend'. Arriving on the corner... I looked up and down the street but could not find the car. I gather he had moved it. For twenty minutes I stood waiting for him to return. I thought I would turn his phone on just in case he was trying to contact his phone. I looked down, it lit up... it read... ‘INSERT SIM CARD!’
It was Victoria’s final comments which got to me... ‘Did you hear about this conperson who is telling people he has run out of petrol and getting them to pay him $30 for a can and then he runs off with the money?’ and then she added, ‘How can people be so gullible? They must be really ‘stupid’ to fall for something like that.’
It was on the tip of my tongue to say... ‘it was $40 not $30!’ - but I just smiled and thought... People like George will always be who they are because they spend their energy tricking people and being deceptive (not only to others but to themselves). He appears to have very little consciousness about his actions and how they affect people they con. He just does not care; that is his life. The ‘stupid’ people are having book launches... and realising their dreams!
Penultimately, it’s life in the big city! ‘You got to take the good with the bad’. Hopefully, it all evens out- you learn lessons and, even more hopeful, one does not become bitter but becomes that little bit wiser.
Have a wise week everyone
Steven
ps... You'll have to wait and see the decision for the photograph on www.209astory.com ... but regardless Victoria was write... the world is ready for a new image of an author.