Saturday, August 9, 2008

A Week That Makes You Go ... hmmmmmm!




I had a very difficult week... I lost my mobile phone!

A friend sent me an email empathising with my situation... she said she would prefer to lose her arm than ever lose her mobile phone!

I laughed at 'J's' comment because she is level headed, educated and an incredibly thoughtful person who would never consider expressing herself in such terms...

It got me to thinking about the characters in '209 A Story' and how each of them have a twist to their personality and/or life that is witnessed by the reader and not by each of the other characters in the book.

What sort of world do we live in when someone would find losing a limb 'easier' than losing a mobile phone?
Regardless of circumstance I always try to see a funny side to things and I did not fully understand what point J was trying to make...


.... the week progressed


By Friday... I was beside myself with a full gamut of emotions regarding my lost mobile. Seeing the funny side really was not an option and it certainly was not funny!

By Friday... I had people worried about me, people annoyed at me for not returning their messages, people who thought it was a laugh to send me a text saying - 'Hi Steve - this is my number -' with no name attached - so Steven then needs to text them back to explain that while he appreciated their text and number he did not know who they are. After 20 of these I could not work out if it said more about the technological age... or... the people I have as friends.

By Friday... I was in MELTDOWN!

So, Steven - not to be beaten - decides he is going to walk to Brunetti's in Carlton to edit Chapter 21 and have a cup of coffee - the walk would give me time to clear my mind about, 'you know what' - and also I love walking through the city while listening to my ipod.

I walked through the Royal Botanic Garden, over the river, past the MCG (Melbourne Cricket Ground) and up to Carlton via Exhibition.

As I was walking through Fitzroy it started to rain and I did not have an umbrella. That is when I began to laugh because just when I thought my week could not have gotten worse... i was correct... it could only get better. A fellow walked past me and as we were walking in the same direction he offered for me to stand under his umbrella... guess what? - he only had one arm and boy did I laugh when he asked if I had a mobile phone number so we could catch up some time for a beer at... 'The Lamb's Go Bar' in Gore Street, Fitzroy?
Have a good week everyone -
Quick ones...
Yes, I liked the Opening of the Olympics
No, I have not been to a baseball game in the USA. I like AFL (Melbourne) and my BIG enjoyment is watching Volleyball. I follow the Serbian Men's Team - my favourite player is Ivan Miljkovic - Number 14... and my othe favourite player is the Russian, Yury Berezhko - Number 10 - Before I get email asking me if I am Serbian or Russian - the answer is no - I just enjoy the game and they happen to be my favourite players.
cheers
Steven